Carrum Downs Scquilters

Photo diary of the monthly meetings of Carrum Downs Scquilters (at the Carrum Downs Library/Community Centre) on the first Wednesday of each month. We are all members of the Australasian Quilting group Southern Cross Quilters. The Library/Community Centre is located on Lyrebird Crescent - just near the corner of Hall Road - Melway page 100 ref: H3 (see L for library at location. If you need more information e-mail me helen.evans@nanderil.com.au or phone 0417263958.

Thursday, May 28, 2015

Wednesday 6th May 2015



Well, what happened to March and April? You may well ask. I could say that one of our cats ate my home work. I could say I was away in March, and I could mention that I forgot to bring camera, notebook etc. in April. I think I’ll go with the cat ate my home work! I am so sorry, as I have been told the show and tell in March was spectacular and I know it was in April. Actually, the truth is that both Ramona and myself have had a string tragedies amongst family and friends and really just weren’t up to it.
However May was a really great meeting as it was our Cuppa for Cancer meeting and we raised a record – almost $500. Lots of fun was had. Our raffle prizes, donated by the late, lovely Joan Winkler and given with so much love, were stupendous. You would know if I had remembered to take a photo of them, but I was too excited because I was one of the lucky winners!
So much was donated to the trading table that many decided to break their fabric buying abstinance and pick up a real bargain. There were Jams, relishes, and 2 precious jars of passionfruit butter – if you know how many passionfruit you need to make the stuff, you will understand why they were auctioned off!














We also each brought a fabulous lunch to share – our best effort yet! It was truly a wonderful day. However, as a result of all these activities most of us forgot to bring show and tell – so here are a few pics just showing us around the table, some with items to show.




Here is a beautiful floral QAYG hexagon quilt that Cynthia has been working on. Eventually it will fit a QS bed.





Here are the first two blocks of the El Camino Pilgrimage BOM quilt – pictures in the photo beside. Dianne and her daughter Penny  brought these along. The colours are so evocative of the trail – each month comes with pictures of what you would see along the trek and a story about it all. At the time, my sister was in Spain doing the very same walk! Now that was just too much of a coincidence – don’t you think? I certainly did as I admired the blocks, the fabrics and Judy and Penny’s beautiful hand piecing, and wouldn’t you know it – it was available at my local Quilt shop. I think you can guess the rest!






I have written Marilyn – post card about this beautiful print. Whatever it is to be used for Marilyn,  it will be beautiful! Marilyn is our clever bunny - always learning something new.








 Then we have some shenanigans – I think it was Sandra’s fault. I am sure she told us a dirty joke!  I was having a bad hair day -a very bad hair day - perhaps that is what we were laughing at? I have had my hair cut and un-greyed since then – how embarrassment!



And Bar is finally putting together her 1 million (approx.) hexagons. Don't they look fabulous? What a wonderful idea for a scrap quilt. They really look splendid.





Virginia, our small hexagon queen, is working away on her magnum opus - it is going to be incredible when she finishes it in 2020. Go Ginny!4




 Just to show you that I haven't been completely idle these past few months, here it is! As promised I am working on two UFOs before I start a new project and this is one of them. Rosalie Quinlan's Best Friends Forever BOM - as you can see, progress has been made.






You may remember Sally's superb Dear Jane quilt - all hand sewn at Carrum Downs over a period of 7 years. You can see it in the photo on Sally's camera. Well, a stray block popped up the other day, so Sally is finisheing it off to use as a label. A wonderful idea.


And just contemplating life, the universe and Game of Thrones, is Maggy - taking a break from he sewing.



So, there you have it for our May meeting.It really was a lot of fun. We will be back to our usual stitching next week on Wednesday June 3rd. Please come and join us if you can.
Then for our July meeting (Wednesday 1st July) we are having “Christmas in July” where I will be showing you how to make a few quick and easy Christmas decorations – ideal for your tree, you can make them into brooches, or have them with place settings around the Christmas table. I will have a few kits available if anyone wants to make them on the day and will put instructions on our July blog. There is no cost involved
So, with everything back to normal, it is goodbye from your roving reporter until next month,

Helen Evans
Devon Meadows, Vic

No comments:

Blog Archive